Wednesday

Collecting Pens


I collect pens, but unlike most pen collectors I don’t collect fountain pens. A vintage Conklin Senior Endura - Lime Green - Gold Filled Trim-Light Barrel Discoloration- Minor brassing to cap band and end of Clip from 1929 or a Parker Vacumatic Maxima - Black - Gold Filled Trim - striped Cap Jewel-Black End Jewel from 1938 will never find their way into my collection.

Instead I collect pens that are found at the check out counters of various gas stations and grocery stores. They are usually contemporary ball point pens that have been highly decorated with plastic eating utensils or plastic flowers. I feel they are priceless examples of modern folk art.

I have a large collection and each pen is unique. My most prized pen was acquired at a Super America gas station in Litchfield Minnesota in 1998. It is a Bic Round Stic Grip- White Barrel - Black Ink and instead of the usual white plastic spoon, it has taped to it with remarkable craftsmanship using 3M Scotch Magic Tape a white plastic fork. What makes this pen especially rare is that the fork is missing the third tine.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home